Thursday, July 12, 2012

Latrine Update and Caterpillars


Hello everyone!
Sorry it has taken so long for us to post another update. The internet service here has not been cooperating with me at all this last week, at least not for long enough to write a blog.

We are doing well. Since we have arrived, much has happened. We continue to adjust to the latrines and bucket baths, but I am happy to report that the latrines have indeed gotten better and the cockroaches are staying down in the hole (most of the time) and not keeping us at bay. One did scurry past my foot the other day and I only squealed a little so yay for me! Prayer, Doom Bug Spray, and teamwork have made conditions much more tolerable. The fear has also lessened, so thank you for your prayers. My most common companion in the latrines this past week was a baby lizard. He climbs down the wall while I am doing my business and we watch each other. I’ve named him Teeny and I like him, he eats other creepy crawlies that I don’t want to see. J

The First Lady of Uganda was here at New Hope last weekend and that was very exciting. New Hope chooses a day every year to celebrate “Thanksgiving”. This is the day they have set aside to celebrate and thank God for all He has done since New Hope’s beginning. She was very gracious and kind and truly enjoyed the festivities. She was here years ago and was pleased and praising God for all that He has done here. She was a breath of fresh air as far as political figures go as she is very open with her faith and by her words and actions you can tell that she is genuine in wanting to see her people here in Uganda recover and thrive as a people living with biblical morals. We were all impressed with her. There was also a group from a deaf school in Kampala that performed worship music for us. They danced and worshipped only by feeling the beat of the music. It was pure joy watching their smiles as they worshipped God.
We have also completed our first week of classes at the Institute here and that has been AMAZING. Our teachers are so engaging and what we are learning is very eye opening. I hope to write something on it to share with you all, but that will have to be done another day.  We are enjoying our classmates and have our first report due soon on a book we are reading. We are so thankful to be here and learning what we are learning. It is so important to what we will be doing in the future, whatever and wherever that might be, but God hasn’t let us in on that part yet.

This next week will be the first week we will return to our Pacific Family group. We are excited to join up with them again. We will be a part of their family during our time here helping with chores, being there for devotions and just being involved in whatever way Uncle Rukundo deems best.
Hmm, let’s see what else, oh CATERPILLARS.  Yeah, they are poisonous here and are not to be touched. They look similar to ours except when you look close they have barely visible spines (cactus like) all over their body. Anyway, one decided to crawl onto my sandal while doing laundry the other day. I kicked this baby caterpillar and he stung me. Needless to say my toes have felt like they’ve had little needles in them for a couple days now. The first day my toes that were grazed got really hot and itchy. I’m fine though and may have gotten stung on the other foot as I type this by another one, but I might have kicked that one in time, I’ll get back to you on the status of that next time.

I must go to dinner now! The meals are delicious, and we are enjoying it all. I have more to share but I will try to write again this weekend. Please be praying for us as we continue here. I’ve been having stomach issues for a few days and am trying to wait to see if it will pass before having to do antibiotics, so time will tell.

I’ll post pictures as soon as I can. It’s taking forever to upload a pic so I need to figure out a different way.

With love,
Aimee and Chris

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you guys. Love you & Miss you bunches!!!!

    ReplyDelete